Closing Time

June 9, 2019

Closing Time 

As I reflect upon the experience of the Rural Health Travel Course, I can't help but to be humbled by the entire experience. Each day was a new adventure that offered a new perspective. My knowledge of the population and the health disparities they face on a daily basis has expanded. I am very thankful for the friends I have made during this trip and the memories that came with those new relationships. I will forever remember the Odom's. 

What did you do while you were here to improve the health of others? 
While I was here, I had the opportunity to sit down and discuss the health conditions of individuals at the Open Door. I spoke with one individual specifically about his condition of Type 1 Diabetes. He wasn't able to explain why he was taking insulin. Therefore, I recognized this an an opportunity to educate him on the medication and condition. I discussed the effects DM has on multiple different organ systems as well as nutritional education and the ways he could improve his diet while eating at the Open Door. Donations were brought to the Open Door by the class which also improved the nutritional health of the community. Throughout the entire experience, I felt one of our goals was to bring awareness of the lack of healthcare in a rural area. Awareness is an initial step in changing a major flaw in this area and improving the overall health of a population. 

How do you feel this population is able to get healthier now and for future generations? 
I feel this population could improve their current health, and maintain a sense of health, by utilizing the resources they have in the area. They also would need to have an understanding of their chronic illnesses and the impact they have on their bodies. I feel many of them are not properly educated by healthcare personnel about their conditions. Future generations will see the seriousness in which elders take their health and incorporate this into their lives. We can also begin to educate the younger generations about preventative care to improve the longevity of their overall health. 

How have you been changed or impacted by this experience? 
This has been overall a humbling experience. I am thrilled that I took the leap to go on this trip. I came back with a better understanding of the luxury urban healthcare has and understand the needs of rural communities. I gained awareness of the cultural boundaries of the Cherokee. I was able to build personal and professional relationships throughout the entire journey. Looking ahead, the takeaways of this trip are something I will incorporate in my future nursing career. 

The Odom's

Comments

  1. I'm so thankful you decided to come on this trip. It was so fun getting to know you and I appreciate how eager you were to learn and help out in any way. I think "The Odoms" should have a family reunion soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts