The Great Adventure

June 2, 2019

The Great Adventure

Disclosure: Let me begin by saying, my one lesson for this trip - always read a waver before you sign it. Our obstacle course of a drive to the cabin was one for the books. I have never questioned if I have fulfilled a quality life, until I rode as a passenger with Amy. As I sit comfortably in the cabin, I can say that I am now safe and at our final destination.

We had a fun time at the Museum of Appalachia. We were able to explore a number of different exhibits and walk through at our own will. There were small cabins set up to replicate what they looked like back in their era. There were homes, schools, churches, black smithing, children's playhouses, and many more cabins to explore. I found it interesting that there was a shed-like structure that was used to treat patients who were ill. It was limited to the size but interesting to see how they were able to live back then. Many exhibits offered short stories of their history which was fascinating to learn about. It is difficult to describe what all we saw while we were there so I have attached a few pictures below to give an idea. We also had a southern homemade meal for lunch which was more than great. Every bit of the food embraced my soul with a warm hug.

We then set our eyes on heading to the cabin. On the way, before getting lost in the mountains, we stopped at a lookout point to take pictures. They are linked below. 

Considering the trip to the Museum of Appalachia, what did you find most interesting? 
I found it interesting that the people made such good use of what they had. It was interesting to see how they were all so content with what little they had. I think this is because they don't have modern technology that allows them to compare themselves to strangers on the internet like we do today. 

Compare and contrast health disparities between Appalachian and the non-Appalachia population. 
I think the biggest health disparity of the community is their lack of access to healthcare services. The museum had a number of displays that indicated the only healthcare they had was what was already settled there, and what services were able to come to them. They are a community so far in a rural area that they are limited on supply but the demand for quality health services continues to rise. Other communities have the ability to access their needs due to their geographical location. 

What are some strong core values of the Appalachian community? 
They value their quality of life and their family. They are a tight-knit community who do not base physical possessions on their life fulfillment. They make do with what they have. 

How does the Appalachian life compare to your own way of living? 
I value my family above anything. My family is my backbone and support system. I find that the Appalachian community also seeks support and approval from their family and loved ones. 


 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. When reflecting on the Appalachian life compared to your own, were there some big differences between the two?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts