Tight Quarters
June 1, 2019
Tight Quarters
Today was our first day of the travel course. We spent a great deal of time traveling. The time in the van was not as bad as I anticipated. It was uncomfortable but I was able to sleep. I began to get eager the closer we got to the hotel. There were a few moments when I questioned the driving skills of the people around us, but we survived. We ate at Cracker Barrel and Steak 'n Shake - so my diet will take a nice hit after this but it will be worth it.What are you most excited about in the days to come?
I am most excited to explore a new community. I love to travel and I think meeting the community will be beneficial. We have plans to learn about the community and the history of the people living there through direct conversation, plays, and museums. I also am excited to spend time with my classmates and explore on our own.
What are your apprehensions?
The only apprehension I have regarding this trip is that the community will not be welcoming to outsiders as we discussed they are tight-knit and could view us as outsiders. I'm also fearful of being eaten by a bear. Just tossing that out there.
Do you think you may have any cultural biases/prejudices/pride/stereotyping that you may need to set aside to have a better understanding about this culture? Why or why not?
I feel the only stereotype that I have toward this population is that the term Cherokee often sparks the mental picture of a Native American. I think this will be debunked once we are able to meet and hear from the community.


Great reflection on the importance of reflecting on prejudices and biases and how they influence your cares.
ReplyDelete