"Sugar Blood"
June 4-5, 2019
"Sugar Blood"
Over the last two days we have spent hours at a Wilderness First Aid course which, upon completion, we were given our WFA certification. This class was much more exciting than I anticipated. Lindsay, our instructor, made the course interesting and fun for everyone. It was nice going into the class with some healthcare knowledge as many of the subjects were ones we have covered in class already. We spent both days learning concepts in the classroom, then acting out scenerios outside. We partnered up and one person acted as the medic while the other was given a "condition" in which the medic had to appropriately treat. I am very happy that we had the opportunity to take this class as I feel it brought all of us together and it will help me further my career as a nurse.
How does the lack of health care access affect population health and patient wellbeing in a community?
When there is a lack of access to health care services, the overall health of the community declines. Patients are reluctant to seek medical attention due to the distance of services and possibly the quality of those services. Chronic conditions often go unrecognized or untreated. Specialty services are difficult to access due to the shortage of healthcare as well. With all of these combined, an overall decrease in the quality of health of the population takes a hit.
What was the biggest take away from today's Wilderness First Aid course?
The biggest take away from the WFA course was making due with what you have at that given time. The course was very interesting and did an excellent job of teaching students the terms in which these cares would be utilized, the way to carryout specific scenerios, and how to properly rescue an individual from a potentially dangerous and harmful situation. After taking this course, I will make sure to bring a first aid kit with me when I know I will be a distance from emergent care.
How can you incorporate some of the lessons you learned today into your care of patients back home?
This course opened my eyes to how urban healthcare has everything at our fingertips and the extensive skills that go into prehospital medicine. I think looking forward I will have a better understanding of the stress that first responders have when rescuing a patient and have a better understanding of the fear patients have after a rescue. The content we covered in the course also gave me a better understanding of the rationales behind cares.
The group showing off our makeshift slings/splints
We played with costume makeup to reenact potential wounds we would treat
Mollie made a makeshift splint out of her supplies in the first aid kit and any other materials she could gather
Learning how to move a spinal injury patient (Amy)
Mollie's finished product of my makeshift leg splint







I loved everything about this course, especially the learning scenarios with all of you! It was fun to see how eager you were to volunteer and participate in the scenarios and I can't wait to see how we utilize our new skills in the future.
ReplyDelete